Thursday, April 23, 2009

Spring is in the Air!

Spring is in the air and it is time to start working. This afternoon, Laurel and I, began to work on our garden. (No pictures, I don't really find dirt all that interesting LOL) We planted lavender, thyme, basil, oregano, dill, rosemary, chives, beans, cucumbers, squash, lettuce, and peppers. About 100 seed pots in all. During the next 3 weeks we will continue to plant the seed pots so that the harvest will be spaced out. The next step is to have the boys build me some raised beds to transfer the seedlings into. Hopefully those will get done next week. I also bought some shrubs, roses and hydrangeas for the front garden. I'm beginning to see what has come back from last year. Certain areas will need some filling in. Hopefully the weather will be nice enough this weekend for me to work on it.

I recently bought the book 'The Backyard Homestead' and I am excited to try my hand at backyard homesteading. The book covers how to supply your needs on 1/4 of an acre. While I don't think I'll be taking it that far (the neighbors would probably frown on a corn/wheat field in the front yard and chickens running around the house - this is suburbia after all) I do hope to at least have enough fresh herbs and vegetables to take through the summer.

1 comment:

  1. I think Shanna just read that book too!!

    I'm looking forward to doing raised beds this year! And I want to try my hand at potatoes~~

    ReplyDelete